Monday, July 28, 2008

T.I. and Hip Hop Caucus announce "Respect My Vote" Campaign

T.I. along with the Hip Hop Caucus, a non-partisan, non-profit launched the "Respect My Vote" campaign. This voter registration campaign is directed at young people who haven't necessarily gone to college as statistics show that young people who have higher education are more likely to register and then vote.

T.I. on the red carpet in front of the 9:30 Club

Mambo Sauce performs their hit singles "Miracles" and "Welcome to DC"

Student volunteers help pass out "Respect My Vote" t-shirts

Rev. Lennox Yearwood introduces T.I. while also making a valid point that while the 1960s were revolutionary voters now need to be solutionary. Rev. Yearwood is also responsible for Diddy's "Vote or Die" campaign


Wale represents for DC in his "Respect My Vote" tee


T.I. in his southern twang and passionate voice, quieted the crowd saying, "I don't want you to leave here without getting the message." And T.I.'s message was clear: while clarifying that felons can also re-register and vote and that as U.S. citizens we must fulfill our obligation to this nation, T.I. did a great job encouraging the young people (who many of them looked TOO young to even vote!) to take an interest in this country.

Other Hip-Hop artists joined T.I. in the launch of this voter campaign including a blinged out Yung Berg, Young Steff, Pharoahe Monch, Wale, Pleasure P, Stephen Hill of BET and Dawn of Danity Kane, who to my surprise was the only female on the panel.