Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Video Recap: Ayo and Kentavius Jones Perform at Rams Head

I traveled some 25 minutes outside of the District (gasp! I know) to hear some wonderful up and coming music. Ayo (her name means 'joy' in Yoruba so I felt like we connected lol) is already a popular artist overseas, particularly in France, but has begun letting us Americans know who she really is. Why is America late in getting all the hottest stuff...cell phones...fashion...music? :(

With a soulful voice as well as a spirit that truly shines (and I'm not even trying to be corny, it's true!), she brings a Euro-African synergy to the mic; Ayo is really out of this world. If you don't believe me, check out her hit single, "Down on my Knees" in the video clip below:



Did you notice that when she beats on her guitar it kinda' resembles an African drum? It's kinda hot...and it's the kind of rhythmic mix that makes Ayo refreshing to listen to.

I got a chance to sit down with Ayo before her sound check. In a candid interview, Ayo lets us know what makes her music so special and what inspires her to write the music that she does. We even got interrupted by an uninvited...fan (not fab...but funny).
Watch now:



I'm excited to see Ayo perform again this Friday at the 9:30 Club (815 V Street NW). If you missed her in Nap Town, check her out there! :)

...and I can't forget Kentavius Jones who opened for Ms. Ayo! KJ, as he's affectionately called, has the most charming personality that shines on stage as well as off. He chatted it up with patrons before and after his set, telling stories of his childhood and making jokes (some were funny lol). My friend sitting next to me said he reminded her of a soulful John Mayer and I couldn't agree more.

Watch him perform one of my favorites "Floor":



I'm luvin the instrumentation at the end.

Stay fab y'all :)

p.s. Shout out to Kayenecha of Gypsy Soul for hooking a soror up!