Sunday, October 26, 2008

Recap: UMD Homecoming Step Show 2008

I had the distinct pleasure of judging the 2008 Homecoming Step Show for the University of Maryland (my alma mater!). A sold out show in Ritchie Coliseum, next to Fraternity Row in College Park, the students, alumni and Greeks piled into the gymnasium to see some good old fashioned stepping.

Since the step show was canceled last year, it seemed like the students were hungry to show off their new moves and win the coveted $1,000 prize.

With host Terrence J of BET's 106 and Park and his protegee Malcolm Ray, the crowd was hype. My favorite part was when "Single Ladies" came on by Beyonce and this lovely thick girl got up and shook it better than B. Of course Terrence J hopped down to back it up with her...a typical and classic Terrence J moment. Oh and did I mention he gave me and the AKA judge, Patrice, a lapdance? :) Good times!


Still, he couldn't have gotten the crowd hype without DJ Travis Bond, a member of Omega Psi Phi. He had us singing our favorite old skool songs to our favorite show tunes and even the hottest tracks of the day.

Terrence J with Testudo

Wale performed during the step show's half time...and because I was sitting on the front row I couldn't really tell if the crowd was feeling him but they definitely knew all the words to his songs. I just wish he woulda' pulled his pants up oveeeer his butt. Still, it was a pretty okay performance.

Wale

::Sigh:: It was so much fun; I felt like I was at an HBCU! :) Here are some pics of the step teams:







Congrats to the Sigmas who won that night!

DC Fab! Girl with Patrice, who also judged the show