Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Duke Ellington Jazz Festival

The 4th Annual Duke Ellington Jazz Festival goes down in the District from Oct. 1-4. There's only a few cool people who love Jazz and Blues (I gotta shout out my professor during my Senior year at CP who taught me a lot about these blended genres when I was just looking for an easy A!)


Here are the events I would check out:

1. Tonight catch Jazz in the 'Hoods featuring Jamie Broumas at Blues Alley (1020 Wisconsin Avenue, NW). The show is from 8 - 10 PM. The cover is $20.

2. If you luv spoken word, head to Busboys & Poets (2021 14th Street, NW) on Thursday night. The evening features Kenny Carroll and the DC Writers Corp. The poetry starts at 7 and there's a $15 cover.

3. Also on Thursday, Step Afrika and the W.E.S. Group perform at Atlas Center (1333 H Street NE). Show starts at 7:30pm. Tickets are $25. Step Afrika is amazing and is a must see performance group.

4. Fertile Ground, a funk/soul-jazz band from Bmore will perform with Chopteeth Afro Funk Band and La Timbistica the 9:30 Club (815 V Street NE) on Friday, October 3 at 7 PM.