Friday, September 26, 2008

Recap: The Secret Life of Bees Premiere


Last night I attended the DC premiere for The Secret Life of Bees, a wonderful yet unusual story about how we live on after love is taken away from us. Set in a historic period, 1964, when Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act, this film, written by Sue Monk Kidd and directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood (whose Herve Leger dress last night was FLY), is a timely and necessary reminder of how far (far is relative) we've come.

A reception held afterward in the lobby of the Newseum (Haven't been? Check out my recap!) mixed the Hill with Hollywood. The stars of the movie Queen Latifah (who did a quick change but eventually joined the reception), Sophie Okendo (whose performance was inspiring), Dakota Fanning (who had on the most to-die-for shoes that night), Nate Parker (who had me disgustingly nervous like I was in grade school or something...the man is fine) and cutie pie Tristan Wilds (who I lied to when I said I felt like we were close 'cuz I'm from Baltimore and I'm a big fan of The Wire...I ain't no fan of The Wire). Jennifer Hudson didn't stay for the reception and seemed a bit distant all day, sources say. Perhaps her mind is on her man...

Good times...I want to write a book turned movie...one day y'all! :)