Thursday, September 18, 2008

Exposed: The Park at Fourteenth Discriminates

Fabulously Submitted by
Miss Aminata

They discriminate against dark-skinned women!!!

So clearly I'm in the process of seeking alternate employment (I simply can't fade the nonsense of my current job any longer), and I'm interested in obtaining a hostess position. I was on Craigslist searching for jobs, and I came across an ad for open positions at The Park (920 14th Street NW). A good friend of mine, who is also a well-known promoter in DC told me a while ago that The Park, and Love (1350 Okie Street NW) for that matter, prefers to hire lighter-complected women "with long hair".

Now, I'd like to think that I'm quite attractive and then thanks to Outre I've got the "long hair" thing under control.

I then called the promoter friend and asked if he'd put in a good word. His immediate response was, "Sure...but, you've already got one thing working against you...you're not light-skinned".

And behold, literally two hours after I handed in my application, which accompanies a Polaroid that is taken [during the interview process], I received the generic "you didn't make the cut" rejection employment email.

For a second my self-esteem was in limbo, and then I quickly gathered myself...why?? Brown-skinned girls will ALWAYS rule!! :)

All of this to say, I'm never patronizing at either of those spots for as long as live...with the exception of this Friday (a friend is having a birthday celebration there *sigh*). I'm also in the process of putting other brown girls up to applying for any positions there.

The state of being shocked and appalled is an understatement at this point.

---
Note: The views and opinions of Miss Aminata do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of DC Fab! and it's writers. Still, we believe in an open forum and believe in free speech. Be blessed.