Monday, May 19, 2008

Listening Party for Rebecca Dupas

So because everyone knows I'm super deep (I hope you can sense my sarcasm here) I got invited to a private listening party for Rebecca Dupas tomorrow night. (I'll be sure to tell you all about it!)

A poet who hosts several poetry nights in Baltimore, she started doing poetry only seven years ago. Her poetry doesn't go above your head...leaving you with the stuck face (like...what did she just say?) but she speaks on real issues and thoughts and connects to her audience on a level that they too can understand.

She's about to release her sophomore album, Long Enough, which speaks on the stereotypes and misconceptions that have permeated our society for too long.

And for all those poets struggling to find their voice, watch her perform "My Apologies":



My favorite line is, "And for the record, every poet in headwrap ain't deep."

Shout out to Mtokufa H of Crocodile's Tear for hookin' a sista up! :)