Saturday, December 1, 2007

Wizards Retire Earl 'The Pearl' Monroe's Jersey Tonight

Last night, I had the pleasure of attending an informal dinner at Morton's Restaurant on Connecticut Avenue to celebrate the Washington Wizards retiring Earl "The Pearl" Monroe's jersey.

Earl, along with my dad, Stan McKenzie played for the Baltimore Bullets in 1967; the team now known as the Washington Wizards. Earl and my dad were roomates back then, Earl was even the best man in my dad's wedding.

Other former teammates joined Earl at his congradulatory dinner including Ed Manning and about five other players whose names I don't remember. Sharon Pratt, former mayor of D.C. was also at our table.

Tonight at the Verizon Center, the Wizards will retire Monroe's jersey in a long overdue ceremony. Congrats to Earl "The Pearl"!

The after party will be held at H20.